SHORT TERM HEALTH INSURANCE - Overview
What is Short Term Health Insurance?
Short term health insurance is a
quality, affordable plan of short term medical insurance designed
specifically for healthy people who are temporarily without health
insurance. Coverage can become effective as early as tomorrow, be
purchased for periods as short as 30 days or up to 180 days, and paid
for in one single payment or easy monthly installments.
The short term health insurance plans we offer are not
an HMO or PPO plan. In the event of a sickness or injury, an insured
person may receive treatment from any licensed healthcare provider or
facility anywhere in the U.S.
Ideal protection for persons:
- Between jobs, laid off, on strike
- Attending school or recently graduated
- Employed part-time or temporarily
- Waiting for permanent health insurance to begin
- Temporarily without health insurance for most any reason
Important Information About Short Term
Short term health insurance is a short term health insurance
plan (typically 1 to 6 months) and should NOT be used as a substitute
for standard, long-term health insurance.
- Short term health insurance plans are intended as interim or
"gap" coverage, i.e., for people who know, with certainty, that they
will have standard, long-term coverage (or coverage through an
employer) at a future date.
- Short term plans are designed to provide protection from
unforeseen illness or injury; they are not meant to cover routine
exams, preventive care, dental or eye care, or immunizations.
- Short term plans are exempt from HIPAA legislation. This means
that when issuing a short term health insurance policy, insurance
carriers do not have to: guarantee renewal, guarantee issue, or
waive the pre-existing condition limitation for federally eligible
- Most importantly, short term health insurance
plans provide coverage for a limited time frame only. Once this time
frame ends, you may or may not be able to buy additional health
insurance, depending on your health at that point in time.